Wednesday 26 November 2014

Taking Time

In my actual season of life, it's been really easy for me to feel overwhelmed with anxiety. So much to do and so little time.



The solution I found may seem kind of weird, but it works!
I find it necessary to take more breaks and enjoy the moment. It may sound like a contradiction: 'so you're feeling overwhelmed? taking time for yourself doesn't sound like a wise option'.

But taking a break doesn't necessarily mean procrastinating for an hour, sleeping on top of my books, or lying on my bed staring at the ceiling and wondering what to do with my life.

Here are some of the breaks I get to have, and that make me feel better when I'm feeling stressed or depressed:
- Having lunch with my friends from college at the mall.
- Seeing my high school friends, who are 'the family that I chose and that chose me too'. They can always make me feel like myself again.
- Marveling at nature: near my faculty the trees have such beautiful colours and I can't help staring at them, trying to capture the moment. I also get to see beautiful rainbows sometimes, like in the picture below!




- Fridays, after my WORST class of the week (with my terrible Anatomy teacher who terrorizes me and makes me feel completely anxious and stupid) I have the BEST time of the week with my boyfriend. We get to do lots of fun together and it feels like home to be with him! (I won't get extra cheesy, even though I could)

How do you take time for yourself during stressful times?

love,
Mariana

6 comments:

  1. I definitely agree! Clearing your head and taking time to calm down and reduce those anxious thoughts goes a long way! Thanks for writing this and sharing it on the Peony Project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Samantha! :)

      Delete
  2. I recently decided to take some time for myself for mental health purposes and I'm taking a semester of college off. It's scary to be doing because everyone is questioning me and I'm trying to sort out my life but I'm extremely thankful to know that I will finally have some time for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scary things are always the most important, I guess! I hope your gap semester goes well and that you find the peace you're looking for :)

      Delete
  3. love this. and it makes perfect sense - you always have to put the oxygen mask on yourself before helping others, right?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, I hadn't thought about that :)

      Delete