Friday 25 July 2014

Barcelona

Last Spring Break, I went on an amazing adventure with my friends - one I'll never forget for as long as I live!

the view from Park Güell

Earlier in the school year, the twelve of us had decided to go together on a senior trip during spring break, with Barcelona as our chosen destination, for a week. We booked our flights and our hostel around Christmas time so that it would be cheaper; but no amount of preparation could have really prepared us for living with each other for a whole week in a foreign city!


We had booked an early flight, so by the time we got to the airport, we couldn't tell who had the worst faces: us or our parents! However, we resisted the urge to fall asleep in the spot, and made it to the plane!
By the time we got to Barcelona, our first adventure consisted in finding the hostel, La Flor de Gaudi. Our bedroom had 10 bunk beds for the 12 of us, but it ended up being enough...

the entrance of our hostel

Only the word adventure can accurately describe this journey.
Most of us had never spent so much time away from our families; however, we had to learn to be independent and to do our own tasks. Cooking for 12 people, for example, wasn't easy, especially after days of walking around such a big city, but it ended up being a lot of fun!
There were many arguments and badly-slept nights... but that's life, right? To me, these bad situations gave me a huge lesson in maturity. Fights happen, because we are all different, but being gracious and mature is always the best solution!
Looking back, my trip to Barcelona marked the beginning of a new phase in my life: even though I'm still figuring myself out, I am slowly gaining my independence and identity.

And let's not forget the amazing places and spots I've visited! Here are some pictures:

Barcelona's biggest market, La Boqueria

Parque de la Ciutadella

Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's masterpiece

the inside of Sagrada Familia - one of the things that amazed me the most.
it just made me feel blessed to be in such a beautiful place, built to worship God.

the view from Montjuic

the olympic stadium

Poble Espanyol

Casa Batlló, by Gaudi

my Starbucks cup - they got my name right!

the ceiling of Palau de la Música Catalana

I could go on and on about the time I spent there. About our failed attempts at going to clubs, because most of us were underage. About the time we found ourselves lost in the deserted Ramblas at night. About our amazing dance night at a club where we were surrounded by old-ish people.
I could go on and on, but I would never make justice to such an incredible experience! I have always felt an enormous desire to explore the world, wanderlust: and I just hope that I will get the chance to see many more parts of this marvelous world!

love,
Mariana


3 comments:

  1. These pictures are gorgeous! I would love to go there someday. Sounds like an adventure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's an incredible city :)

      Delete
  2. LOOOOVVVVVEEEEE THIISSSS! I can't wait to travel!!!

    xoxo, kerri

    ReplyDelete